Monday, August 4, 2014

Jelly Roll

Roasted peach Jelly Roll with whipped topping
  A Jelly Roll is a soft sponge cake rolled up with jelly in the center. They are a bit of a pain to make, due to timing, but are worth it. The recipe I used is from my favorite childhood cookbook. You guessed it the Alpha-Bakery Gold Medal Children's Cookbook !  
       As per usual I have changed some aspects of the recipe, like using gluten free flour, almond extract, and adding more water. I have also used roasted peaches instead of the jelly and topped it with whipped topping. Delish, if I don't mind saying so myself.
   So here is my interpretation of the Jelly Roll!



 3 Eggs
1 cup of evaporated cane juice
2/3 cup of water
1 teaspoon of almond extract
3/4 cup of gluten free flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2/3 cupish of jelly
powdered sugar
  First things first, preheat the oven to 375°, then you prep your pan,
I do not own a jelly roll pan so I used a cookie sheet with an edge on it of about 1/2 inch. I also lined it with parchment paper and buttered it.
You can see in my photo  I lay one piece of parchment lengthwise, and buttered it, and one "widthwise" and buttered it as well. it is important to have about an inch of parchment paper over the top as well. In the recipe it suggest using aluminum foil but I think the parchment works a lot better.
    After the pan prepping you make the batter. Beat the eggs, then add the water and the extract. Then stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Once it is mix you pour the batter into the prepped pan. It's really important when you pour it in to pour it evenly and get it to about 15 by 10 inches. I use a spatula to even it out. I then put it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
   While it is baking I take a towel and put powdered sugar all over it to flip the cake on top of when its done baking.
waiting to cool
   After it's through baking, use a tooth pick in the center to check for doneness, I set the pan on a wire rack and then pick up the cake using the parchment paper that is over hanging from the sides of the cake and then turn it on to the towel. I then peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up in the towel and place it on a wire rack. It is really important that you wait until it completely cools or else then it will crack when you reroll it with the jelly, about a half hour to 40 minutes.
     After waiting, for what seems to be an eternity for deliciousness,  unroll the cake and peel it off of the towel, if it starts cracking then you haven't waited long enough, I would let it cool some more and try to salvage it by rolling the torn side towards the inside of the roll, or just eat the cake plan and cry about having to do it again because you were too impatient.
     Slather the jelly on to the unrolled caked and then roll it back up again with the jelly. Ta-da, you have a jelly roll!


     





 

No comments:

Post a Comment