Friday, April 11, 2014

Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bourbon Soaked Cherries

That is a lot of bourbon in one cookie but it's so tasty and delicious, and now I will tell you how to make them.
    The first step takes the longest but is the simplest part, the bourbon soaked cherries. You only add eight cherries to the recipe but you should make a lot for drinks,like Manhattans, or maybe a bourbon soaked cherry milkshake ( let me know how the last one turns out because I haven't done that yet), or even just pop them in your mouth when you need a quick pick me up. Just kidding... maybe...err yeah.
Cherries, Mason Jar, Bourbon
    All you need is a mason jar with a lid, some bourbon (I was using four roses yellow but decided to go all fancy on the blog with Buffalo Trace), and cherries. I went with frozen cherries due to price point and fresh cherries just aren't available right now. I have also tried this with dried cherries and my advice is to just don't do it. They came out looking like prune fingers and pretty chewy. JUST DON'T DO IT.
thawing cherries
    The first step is to pour the cherries in the mason jar and wait for them to thaw out. This takes about two hours, then you pour the bourbon over them and place the lid on the mason jar and refrigerate for a day or so. I always wait at least one day. I know it's hard but you can do it. Just think, in a day or so I can make some really tasty cookies!
Bourbon poured on cherries
 In case you've already been drinking the bourbon here are some visualizations.
And now it is time for the cookie recipe.
   As I have stated before I am a big fan of the Alphabakery Cookbook made by Gold Medal Flour. Just to clarify I like the cookbook not the flour.  The chocolate chip cookie recipe from there is good but I like to add vanilla, bourbon, bourbon soaked cherries, and I make a few minor adjustments.
I will now write out the recipe because I know you didn't come here for my candor.
Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bourbon Soaked Cherries
1/2 cup of evaporated cane sugar
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter, or one stick of butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of bourbon
1 1/4 cups of gluten free flour, if you are using regular flour then 1 1/2 cups
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
8 bourbon soaked cherries quartered
6 oz of chocolate chips

 1. Melt butter in a double boiler, then add sugars, egg, vanilla, and bourbon. Mix well.
cold cookie dough
2. Add flour, baking soda, and salt to the butter mixture. Mix again. Add quartered cherries and chocolate chips, stir, and then put in the freezer.
3. Heat the oven to 375°
4. After the oven has heated place spoonfuls of dough on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Then cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
Baking in the oven
5. Take the cookies out, and place the cookie pan on a wire rack and wait to cool.
Yeahh cookies!










     








No comments:

Post a Comment