Saturday, March 23, 2013

Simple syrups

I like to make simple syrups. They are easy to make, and add different flavor dimensions to drinks and other foods. A simple syrup is usually equal parts sugar and water with some sort of flavoring. I like to use a bit less of sugar and lots of spices. The two I have give here as examples are a lavender syrup and a chai syrup. Other ones that I have made are a rosemary and sage simple syrup and a juniper berry and sage simple syrup.
The first syrup for this blog is the lavender simple syrup.
I used one and a half cups of water, a half cup of sugar, and one and a half tablespoons of lavender.
I combined all the ingredients and heated it on the stove until the sugar dissolved. I then bring it to a boil and then simmer it for 15 minutes. After that it steeps for another 15 minutes. Once it cools I strain the lavender out and pour it out into a mason glass.
This syrup is good in mixed drinks, lemonades, and with earl grey tea.



Another syrup I like to make is the tealess chai syrup from Entertaining for a Veggie Planet by Didi Emmons. I make chai tea and sometimes add it to my mixed drinks from time to time.
I use raw honey, cloves, star anise, cardamon pods, and fresh ginger, mix it with water, stir it and then bring it to a boil. Then it simmers for an hour, making the whole house smell like a big cup of chai tea !
 After it cools I strain it into two mason jars .












No comments:

Post a Comment